So, I started my placement on Thursday, and it went pretty well. It was a day to remember :) As I was walking to the classroom my mentor teacher said she had greeter duty but the door was unlocked and I was welcome to go in. I thought this would be a good opportunity to look around the classroom. I put down my stuff and started looking around. There were picutres on a bulletin board of all the students and a writing sample about their favorite food, or whether they liked picnincs, there were a variety of prompts. Then I saw some of the textbooks they were using. Having just discussed the glossed over version of Columbus in social studies I opened their social studies book and looked to see what they had to say. There was relatively no discussion on how the Indians were already here and we took their land. However, it didn't assert that Columbus discovered America. It said something along the lines of that the people in England didn't know about it and now they did. I don't remember the exact wording. And this may be because I was in an analytical mood of the social studies book, but I also saw the section they had on slavery (I don't know if this was the section, and the only place it mentioned, but I was slightly appalled). The most in-depth topic it went into was how a slave family got their own family later and flourished. It kind of just skipped over what slavery was really like and how the slaves were brought over here in over-packed ships... etc.
Anyways, onto the stories :) I was waiting in the classroom by myself and I hear someone open the door and tell their child that the teacher isn't here, but an ETSU student is... I was like hmmm... I wonder who it is. So I went to say good morning, but by this time the parent had left. I asked the little girl her name, and then I told her mine. She gave me cute little smile and said, "that's a pretty name" I almost started laughing! it was soo adorable! that was supposed to be my line to make her more comfortable, but instead she definitely made me feel welcome in the classroom. And then, about 2 minutes later a whole crowd of kids came in, and I had stood at the door waiting to say good morning to them, and they just started barraging me with questions. Who are you? What's your name? Are you our sub? and they started getting a little wild ;) and then that same little girl, as she was putting her stuff away said, be nice! ooo man. I think I found my ally in the classroom! haha! But anyways, the rest of the day went well. They're a pretty good class. I got to do a mini-science lesson with the small groups in centers, so that was neat getting to know the kids in a smaller setting.
I could go on to gripe about this new system they have where students take pencil tests and then have to transfer that to a computer, or the teacher has to transfer a test of 40 questions for each student on to a computer, but it really wouldn't make a difference, and I can see some of the reasoning behind it, so.... yeah.
But my mentor teacher is really helpful, she gave me all kinds of resources, stuff for my math paper, etc. I'm looking forward to working with her.
Lastly, football :) I feel soo bad for the Giants!! poor Eli, he played so well with his passes, but there were just so many other mistakes. They play Chicago next week... we'll see how that goes.
And INDY! :) Right now it's only half time, but they're winning! so that's a good sign, let's just hope they keep it up. And I'm really glad the Saints finally lost :D
Anyways, on to finish homework.... can't wait for Pizza tomorrow! Yum yum delicioso!!
Imani
No comments:
Post a Comment