Monday, November 15, 2010

soooo many things....

JOKE!! :)
Well, as the title implies, there are soo many things to update!! But, I'd like to start with a joke. I read this in one of the level readers in my 3rd grade placement, and I loved it! I loved it so much that I had to share it with my mentor teacher, and she loved it too! I pretty much told everyone I saw that day. But first, a disclaimer: I love corny jokes. So if this joke falls flat on it's face, know that I thought it was hilarious.... :D so.... drum rolllll please:
What did the chef say when the waffles all fell to the floor??

"Oh! How waffle!" hehehehehe!! I love it!

Anyways, if you've stopped laughing and have returned to your seat after doubling over and falling off your chair with laughter (don't worry, I didn't laugh that hard) we can continue.

Exit Ready...?
I took my exit exam on Friday! yayy! I'm ready to exit... that is, if I get this semester's work done AND student teaching! soo excited, but really kinda apprehensive at the same time. And just a note of reminder, in case people haven't seen the fliers yet, the student teaching meeting on December 16th is at 10am.

The Terrible, Horrible, Barely good Sunday... kind of.
FOOTBALL... I don't even know what to say. WHERE WERE THE GIANTS?!?! HOW did the cowboys beat them?!? I mean really?!? My only team that won yesterday was the Colts! and the Steelers-Patriots game was just painful, although I bet it's not as painful as what the Redskins are feeling right now, I mean they're just getting WALLOPED! But other than that my Sunday was wonderful! haha! But really, I made chili and ate it with frito's and all the fixings (cheese, sour cream, green onion, tomato, olives.... MMM! Delish!)

Social Studies Connection
Lastly, (what a good cue word, right? I bet our language teachers would be so proud ;) the booktalk! I'm so disappointed I'm going to be missing everyone's on Wednesday! You guys will have to tell me what books y'all read so I can get in on the info! But yeah, I think Language Arts is SUCH a good way to incorporate social studies! And we're in luck too! there's probably a quality book on practically any social studies topic, especially historical events. And there's so many activities you can pull into it. You could have the students write journal entries about what they think that time period would be like, or what they would do, or you could even do a storypath and the students would have background knowledge from the book they are reading!
And I really, really liked the book I read, Journey to Topaz, although I have to tell you, it was a tear jerker. Just imagining that happening to families is so horrible. I kept imagining what it would feel like, and I just don't understand why... However, it did teach the history well, and told it from a unique perspective. Overall, it really was a good book. I'd definitely recommend it. The author has excellent style, and even though it is an easy read, you never feel like you're reading a kid's book. Excellent for student and adult readers alike! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment