As with many other people, I really enjoyed the living history museum... especially the buttons ;) But seriously, I think this is a great way for people and students to get a much deeper knowledge of history. When you do it with students they'll be studying the time period, the life of that person, and so much more than is usually presented to the kids, and not only that, but while they're working hard to learn about the life of someone, everyone else in the class is working hard too, so they get to learn about so many different people. Also, I think kids have an innate curiosity to know about who the other students are and how they may relate to the person they are studying. I know I was excited when Amy (sorry!! I forgot who you were) and Heidi (Clara Barton) mentioned Seneca falls and women's rights. I wanted to know if they had ever met Elizabeth Cady Stanton and worked together. When students do this, they also see how history weaves itself. These seemingly unrelated characters actually had things in common.
Lastly, I mentioned to my mentor teacher that we did a living history museum and she mentioned that one of the 4th grade teachers did it in her classroom and it turned out really well. I was a little surprised that she did it with fourth grade, but she said that they practiced and they did a really excellent job, so I guess it just depends on the class, but you can do it with younger students to an extent. And on a sidenote, later in the day I saw that teacher and she said that one of her ETSU students from last year mentioned it to her and that's where she got the idea from. How cool is that?!?
Night!
Imani
No comments:
Post a Comment